Monday 18 June 2012

Wednesday, 13.06.2012


Mercoledì 13.6.2012

Time flew today. I spent the early part of the morning trying to find a solution to the phone not working. Then visitors! Up came Claudio, his wife Giovanna and Arturo’s wife Emanuela. Arturo had sent them up to see if everything was all right, seeing he had tried to call various times and found the phone dead. Ironically, about an hour before they arrived the phone showed signs of life again. And I had already talked to Arturo. Something is happening with the coverage and nobody has an idea what the reason could be.

Before they came I tried something. I remembered somebody telling me some years ago that there was a spot outside the hut just where the huge stone with the Swiss flag is where Swisscom worked once in a while if lucky. So I tried it. I wrote an SMS to Arturo and waited for the small lines at the top right of the phone to appear (fingers turning almost to ice at 15°), telling me that I was connected. And it worked, at least shortly and long enough to send off the SMS. Only about half an hour after I went back inside, I looked at the hut’s phone and saw that is was working again. And that was not all. My phone (HTC), which was next to the hut’s phone on the small wooden shelf, all of a sudden went “beep” and I received an SMS from my friend Ute, written two days ago. Things are all topsy-turvy, the phone that was supposed to work didn’t any more, and my phone, that wasn’t supposed to, was. At least well enough to send SMS.

My visitors were glad to see I was fine and after we had chatted a while, I prepared lunch for them (minestrone, polenta with cheese in the oven and lentils) while Claudio split lots of large chunks of wood so it would be easier for me to use and the women were hunched over the hut phone and theirs too trying out if they worked or not. And coverage was poor. Sometimes it worked, then it didn’t. And now, dear readers, it is back to yesterday’s status quo: my visitors have left and the phone has stopped functioning again. It is “malfunctioning” as to quote Wallace’s fiancée in “A Close Shave”, what was her name? Gwendoline? Only this time it is not the Cyber Dog that is out of control, but the hut’s phone. And I wanted to talk to Arturo and give him my list of groceries and stuff for next week, my original week as “guardiana”. Everything will be flown up in the helicopter on Saturday.

The weather has stabilised, the forecast is good and the washing I hung up two days ago is finally try. And this is tonight’s view in the other direction, towards Barone hut, and the path I plan to take in about ten days, if all goes well with my foot (and weather and so on).


This is more like a diary than a blog, isn’t it? I reckon most of you have grown bored and stopped reading. Errr, looking for something exciting to write… oh, yes, I saw a “…” today, I have no idea what it was exactly (German: Hermelin?), it was tiny, long and brown and had a white belly and came right up to the door. Seems to know its way around the place. And, sadly to say, the baby birds have left without saying good-bye. Chirp.

I have reservations for tomorrow! Three persons are coming to sleep and eat. Hurray! I will bake a cake in the morning to celebrate! It was a nice change to have people around today and I am looking forward to doing some taking-care of more people tomorrow. Claudio, Giovanna and Emanuela left at about half four, I cleaned up a bit, found other things to do and here I am again sitting at the fire:


and drinking red whine while the Bavona choir is singing for me again. Not much else to listen to, but I am becoming quite fond of the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment