Tuesday 26 June 2012

I slept well eben though I didn't have an easy night. I woke up in the middle of the night because of the severe pain in my right thumb. I don't know how but I managed to procure a new wound, another small but terribly painful cut just underneath my nail. So I got up at two, tried to clean the cut in case it was infected, took the toothpick from my Swiss army knife and applied Betaisodona (hail Betaisodona!). After a while the pain grew less and I fell asleep again. I still found I had rested when I got up at seven. Packed my stuff and went to Osteria Marisa where I had Ovomaltine and a cornetto. The owner was nice enough to fetch me butter and jam from her own kitchen, because I asked for it. I felt I needed some sugar for the long climb. And I didn't have to pay for it, which is very nice.

I knew I would have to climb 1400m and I started really, really slowly. At the pace of a snail more or less. But I didn't care, I just wanted to get there. After 700m of climbing I discovered that once again I had take another path than planned, which didn't matter, because there are various paths that lead up to the Bassa di Nara. Bad map reading.

I ended up in Molare instead of Cassin. I sat down in the tiny village to rest and call they landloard of the Läntahütte to find out about the snow conditions. He was very nice, but it became clear that I would't be able to go through with my plans in that region. Too much snow, too dangerous.

Then it started to rain, quite heavily. I called capanna Piandioss to ask if it was ok to go up to Nara in the rain, apparently it was no problem. The landlord was very nice, he already had been on the phone yesterday. Today he even called while I was creeping up to Nara to see if everything was ok. The climb went well considering how I felt yesterday, and going up all the time was good for my arms.

1 comment:

  1. Ein Hoch auf Betaisadona! Liebe Grüße, Anja

    ReplyDelete