Sunday 24 June 2012

I could't see any snow from the pass so I started to descend. Horrible descent, lots of scrambling and moving rocks, very steep, some snow and ice. Thank god my foot was ok. When I came to better ground I saw all that snow and was not too happy. Orientation wasn't the problem, I saw enough signs and I had my gps, but I was afraid to fall into a hole. Put on the crampons and was greatly relieved to find that I could very well on the snow which tends to become very soft at this time of the year. I tested the snow with the sticks before each step but that didn't always help. I went in with my left leg again. Really deep and I was stuck. I didn't panic, but it cost me a lot of strength to dig myself out again. Zigzagged my way to rocks and left the crampons on, just in case there was more soft snow. Only after a while I felt relaxed enough to look back and take a photo. The problematic passage is way back in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment