Monday 18 June 2012

Thursday, 14.06.2012


Giovedì 14.6.2012

I was up early, woke up at eight and got to work, cleaned a bit again, prepared “afters” (chocolate pudding with coconut and pears, later cream, cherries and grated chocolate on top), baked an apple cake a la Fiona (which was very much approved of), showered and then spoke to Arturo, which was difficult because the phone just kept going dead. He had called “Orange” and learned that they were having a major problem with the network and were working night and day to repair things. It took various phone calls to give him the list of groceries, which I had put together last night. Then I went outside to take care of the wood that had remained after work on the new table and bench the past weekend. Arturo had already started to pile it on a stone for it to dry. And I continued for some time in beautiful weather (now 30° in the sun).

At about three in the afternoon my guests arrived. They were young social workers and were all “oh” and “ah” about the place. They devoured a big piece of the cake and chilled. I was continuously busy with the stove in the kitchen, which heats the entire hut, the guardiano’s room, but also the main room, very good heating system. But it is tricky, I am not used to it yet and it needs a lot of attention otherwise it just goes out. I was preparing “cena”, which is Italian for dinner (in the evening), when my Italian friend Maurizio called. We plan to meet in two weeks to go walking together in Engadine for two weeks. While my guests were giggling away I found myself looking forward to piling wood again the next day.

The fact that you are able to read all this is owed to Arturo’s son Vincenzo – thank you ever so much Vincenzo! – who was given the USB with my texts and photos and put it all online, in phases, because the poor boy is still studying for his exams that are ongoing. I remember those times and am VERY happy they are over. Apparently, the phone is working better again. My guests went to bed at nine, incredible, but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment