Friday 8 June 2012

The experience at the Kantonspital in Altdorf was a good one and while waiting I learned some more things about Switzerland. I was sitting right in front of an art piece with a story of a kind in some to me unknown Swiss dialect. I asked at the reception if they could tell me what it meant and they couldn't. Instead they sent the personell boss down, who actually sat with me for at least half an hour to translate and tell me about Swiss legends. I was impressed. This is the translation of the writing, first in Germany:
Ein Ungeheuer wie ein Laubsack. Der Glasscheibenhund hätte auf der Stirn ein rundes und glühendes Auge gehabt. Er sei immer links an den Leuten vorbei gegangen, nie rechts.
And English:
A beast like a sack of leaves. They say he had a round and glowing eye on his forehead and that he always passed people on the left side, never on the right.
Josef Müller was a pastor who collected all the old tales of canton Uri and told them to the patients of the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. Liebe Fiona,

    hoffe, du bist inzwischen gut auf der Soveltra-Hütte angekommen - und kannst deinen Fuß in schönster Berg-Umgebung auskurieren ;-)) Don't worry, be happy - ich hoffe, das funktioniert und du bist bald wieder "wanderfit"! Salutoni aus der Ebene; bin gespannt auf neue Nachrichten!
    Caro

    ReplyDelete