Tuesday 21 August 2012

Today was a travelling day with hardly any walking. I took the cable car to Gressoney. I had to change four times and pay 25 euros (there are only return tickets, whether you like it or not). But I made friends in the cable car with a very nice local called Vilmo. We had a nice chat and he invited me to a drink, but I didn't accept because I wasn't sure about how much time it would take me to get to rifugio Alpenzu. The cable car takes you up to almost 3000m, at Passo dei Salati, very beautiful and rough landscape, but, in my opinion, in a way ruined by all the skiing. It was a funny feeling not to walk up there and go all the way up and down in relatively little time. Nice views of Monte Rosa. And I saw the remains of rifugio Guglielmina, which burnt down in winter 2011, a few days before Christmas, and rifugio Vigevano, where I had planned to sleep, but couldn't because it is closed and nobody knows if it will reopen (local information). It is a pity, because they are both in a stunning position at 2800 with stunning views.

The cable cars took me to Staffal, there I took a bus to Gressoney St. Jean. There the signs confused me and I didn't know where to go. I do not have the part of the mal because I had planned to walk differently, tourist information was closed so I asked a local again. Giacomo was so kind as to give me a lift to the beginning of the path. Thank you very much Giacomo! This way I didn't have to walk at least two kilometres on tarmac in the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment